We will help you transfer your
PastorsLine vs. Text In Church
Last edited: January 2021
We think that Text in Church is a great company that serves many churches. This guide is for information only and isn't updated regularly. It's based on publically shared information only. Please use this guide only as a reference point in your research as you make the best-informed decision based on your specific needs, goals or circumstances.
We are the first to agree that there are a lot of good, church-focused, bulk text and calling solutions on the market at the moment, but since you are only going to choose ONE of them, it makes sense to select the one that best fits the needs of your ministry.
To help you make your best-informed decision, we decided to do a comparison between PastorsLine and Text In Church.
After looking at the details, check out the comparison chart at the bottom.
To be totally upfront, it’s clear that we have an opinion on the matter. However, we have done our best to be accurate in the facts we present. Should you feel we have erred or misrepresented anything, please give us a call 844-285-1815 or pop us an email ([email protected]) so we can clear up the confusion.
***Our Newest Difference: Short code Keywords***
Once, short codes were spammy. Now, they are much the opposite.
Why is the short code important?
The short code is already the recommended option for any bulk text messaging in order to avoid your messages being classified as “spam” by the mobile carriers. In addition, you will be able to trigger important campaigns using a short and easy to remember code; in our case, our shared, leased short code; 77411.
What are short code keywords?
Keywords are WORDS or PHRASES you can set up within PastorsLine to trigger a specific campaign (autoreply or data capture text bot). Short code keywords are those triggers which are used with our leased US shortcode, 77411. Since this shortcode is shared by all of our church partners, the triggers have to be unique to each church.
Try it: Text WELCOME to 77411.
Why did you lease a shared short code?
Basically, sharing the cost makes it more affordable for everyone. Purchasing your own short code costs a minimum of $1000/m for a randomly assigned short code.
Here are some more comparison points to consider...
1. PastorsLine’s features help your church to more effectively reach, connect and engage with your members and first-time guests in order to build deeper, more natural relationships.
- Advanced data capture (FKA autoresponder)—Capturing contact data in a non-intrusive, digital way is a top priority. PastorsLine offers more than the basic autoreply to a link so you can capture additional information like name, email and birthday without having your subscriber leave their chat application. You are likely to get the data as it’s captured in a more organic way.
- Voice broadcasting (or voice messaging)—Contact doesn’t use texting? Connect by voice. Contact not in? Leave a warmer, friendlier communication in their voicemail.
- Voice call forwarding—What about if you are not in? Your callers will hear a personalized message informing them that their call will now be transferred to your voicemail. All messages are shown within the same thread to show you a history of the communication.
- Outboard 1-on-1—You already have a unique local number for your church or ministry. Being able to not only receive but make calls from the same caller ID can ensure a synergistic communication solution that isn’t tied to your personal phone line.
- Birthday campaigns—Getting a ‘just for you’ text on their birthday touches most people in a positive, caring way. They know you care, even after you have gotten them into your disciple process. Great way to save administrative time as well as it’s 100% automated from birthday date capture to automated personalized text.
- Contests—This a great opportunity to get your guest to attend an event or your regular members to engage on your program while also capturing their data. It makes it easy to randomly pick a winner and send a message via text. People are motivated to participate and that’s what we’re after, right?
- Live polling—Imagine an event at your church...perhaps a concert, an evangelical gathering, or a community-church health fair. Asking your participants to give real time feedback lets you know exactly what they are thinking so you can change things up to better meet their needs. Then you have a segmented list of cell phone contacts to follow up with after the event and continue to engage / move along to the next steps.
- More than one number—PastorsLine offers you the option of dedicating specific numbers to specific purposes (or people) for a more personal engagement. You can pick a unique local 10 digit number for each person on your team and create a virtual cell phone network. Alternatively, you can mix and match, allowing people to share the same lines.
2. PastorsLine integrates with many of the platforms you are already using. See our list of updated integrations below.
3. PastorsLine is priced for church communication. Comparing apples to apples, PastorsLine’s adjusted cost for 1500 texts is $37.50 per month as opposed to their $67. Also, you don’t have to jump in at the deep end: the smallest plan is $10 compared to their $37. Best of all, the free trial DOES NOT ask for credit card details and lasts for 30 days instead of 14.
4. PastorsLine gives you better feedback on where you are and where you need to go. Basic analytics and reporting just doesn’t cut it for today’s churches so PastorsLine has advanced capabilities built-in. It would be important to know how your mobile strategy is working, right? Track your success via stats such as opt-in rates and click-throughs—all easily accessible via your PastorsLine dashboard.
Sounds like PastorsLine can take us to the next level. We’re in for the free trial. ( https://my.pastorsline.com/register )
It’s interesting but I’m not sure yet. I’d like to find out more. ( link to eBook )
|Cost for 1500 texts (adjusted)|| $37.50/mo |
(Option of credits never expire,
roll over each month)
| $67/mo |
Credits expire each month.
|Short code Keywords||Yes||No|
|Numbers||1 of several||1 of 1|
| Use your existing landline |
or toll-free number
|Voice Forwarding|| Yes |
(w/transcription, push and email alerts)
|Advanced Data Capture (FKA Autoresponder)||Yes digital connect text||No|
| Integrate then send beautifully designed |
automated emails from PL via Mailchimp for FREE
| Internal. |
Simple html only
|Multiuser||Yes Advanced Teams||Yes Basic Level|
|Analytics / Reporting||Advanced||Basic|
|Start for free or have to pay||Free trial, no CC required (500 credits)||Free trial, CC required|
|Trial Length||30 days||14 days|
|Do they offer integrations?||
CCB Approved Vendor
(True, 2-way saved searches, process queues, unlimited syncing [overnight & on demand], smart syncing)
(True, 2-way syncing, PCO workflows)
Lists and groups 1-way,
Overnight syncing and on-demand
Lists and groups 1-way,
Overnight syncing and on-demand
Lists and groups 1-way,
Overnight syncing and on-demand
|They do offer integrations. Visit their website FMI|
Clients who chose PastorsLine had this to say
Hundreds of churches compare Text in Church and PastorsLine when looking to solve specific text and voice communication needs. Some choose Text in Church over PastorsLine and others come on board with us. For those who do, here are some of the reasons why PastorsLine was a better fit.
You get this feature and so much more...
(All features are included.)
direct, automated data capture via phone from those interested
mobile keywords to opt in to different church campaigns
automatically create and manage groups
gather information via online forms
polls and surveys
personalized, bulk text messaging
personalized birthday wishes
create and schedule a series of automated messages
2-way integrations with CCB and Planning Center (MailChimp is next)
The PastorsLine platform is a church-driven, bulk texting platform developed and managed by church ‘insiders’. We know churches intimately. We’ve attended them, been part of their management teams and worked with them for many years. Our goal is to serve you by helping you spread the Good News of Jesus Christ. We’ve positioned ourselves to be your in-house, IT team for solutions to your communication issues. In addition to everything our platform can do, our partners love our responsiveness to their needs and fast tech support.
Thus far it’s worked perfectly!! When we wanna send out a text message we use the church office #.
When somebody calls this #, it just takes them to our office phone where a front desk agent can answer. This is perfect! Far better than our individual cell phones ringing when somebody calls our PastorsLine number. It’s only been a week but it’s working great!
Young Adults Pastor, Faith Chapel
It’s honestly the best feature that we have utilized. Being able to give one phone number for voice and text simplified our process.
Pastor Gateway Church, Ashland, KY
PastorsLine has totally changed not only my workflow, but it's taken our "personal" factor up 10x! Just with our welcome process, we have gone from a 40% READ rate to a 40% CONVERSATION rate. That's just crazy!
So thanks 🙂
When we finished our evangelistic event in Houston, 70% of those who were baptized, communicated with me through PastorsLine...it had a big influence.
Evangelist, End Time Hope
[PastorsLine is] a huge answer to something we’ve been looking for. I was able to send a template with a field merge by scheduling it...
Dr. Matthew Robinson
For us [a PastorsLine text-enabled church landline] has been huge for people to be able to text the number they already knew for our church. It means they don’t have to remember two different numbers when they are looking to try and get in touch with us. Most people don’t even realize its mostly an automated process.
Connections Pastor, The Exchange
At first, the landline feature seemed like it would overload the church secretary since everyone would have the church phone number saved in their phones. This has not happened! People are simply interacting with our events better than ever before! We love the landline feature.
Associate Pastor, Journey Church
By using the same phone number for texting and calling you get people to remember your phone number. When it comes the time that are ready to reach out to us they know the phone number.
I honestly never realized how many people must have been trying to text our landline all along! We never advertised our landline as a number you could text, but we have gotten multiple members of our congregation and even guests from some of our events to send us texts saying, ‘Thank you for this and that’, and it has been really great to see!
Joy Christian, Center,
St. Cloud, MN
The text message bible study invites are working great. We saw a huge increase from 5-6 to 10-12 and the numbers stayed consistent.
We hired [PastorsLine] to assist us in a new “Small Group” initiative we were launching at our church. The tools they provided us with helped us monitor and take action on hundreds of responses. Our workflow was cut in half and our ability to track, monitor and follow through with the data gathered more than doubled.
Associate Pastor, New Believers
I belong to a Church Communications group on Facebook, and you were highly recommended. We signed up with you over others because we are a multi-generational church and you have an ability to reach people on landlines.
...the guest connection card...We had a great response -- people whose names and contact info we might not have captured otherwise. Our autoresponder directs them to our Welcome Center...where we have a gift...with their name on it.
The personal and almost immediate assistance at [PastorsLine] is so great! We feel valued and important! We love that it is church-based!!! … Jason and the team at [PastorsLine] are always ready to help, make things better, and they also welcome feedback.
Pastor @ College Drive Church
PastorsLine has been a fantastic tool which has enhanced communication with out church family. As with any tool, the secret is in learning how to use it effectively. I have been most excited when I see my church members telling their very own unchurched friends to text “PRAY” to our pastorsline number and have them join our prayer sessions.
Pastors, RGF Church
The land line is more familiar with our congregation. When we texted from the other number, some would inquire about who was sending the text as the number was unfamiliar, and we did not use it frequently, so by the time we sent another text, some had forgotten the number.
Myrna and Peter Rohdin
New Life Fellowship Church, Elmhurst, NY
Sending and receiving texts from our landline number is the #1 feature that ensures visitors and members can engage with us on the most relevant means of communication there is right now. Having one number to advertise, simplifies all graphics, ads, announcements, etc. for us, as well as for those we're trying to reach. I use PastorsLine EVERY DAY. It's changing the way we engage with our members - it's both easier and more effective.
Baptism Worship Service Reminders - bulk texting—we were blown away by the number of people who showed up.
Director of Admin
Why Do Leading Churches
and Ministries Choose Us?
We help many small ministries to mega-churches communicate
effectively with your members and visitors: through text, voice and social.
Connect, reach & engage with a mobile
generation through text for your ministry!